Skip to main content

Self-Employment

According to my understanding, self-employment is a chosen career that enables an individual to create his or her own income-generating activity, using the available resources which may either be borrowed or personally owned.
I have realized that those that undertake self-employment benefit from the following:
  • High degree of independence; as time goes on and you maintain your business well, you will start to employ people to help you. However, you still to have make the right decisions.
  • High degree of job security in self-employment
  • Increased innovation and creativity, as a result of the self-employed person making profits.
  • More self-confidence; I now have more self-confidence within me and a belief in my own abilities since I work under no one’s direction, supervision and control but my own.
  • Efficient resource utilization and good accountability since there is a personal attachment to work. The work situation is entirely under my own control.
  • Knowledge of best practices, like buying good quality goods and selling in affordable prices to my customers to maintain a good relationship.
  • Strong work ethic; being self-employed has made me a more hard-working person as I strive to turn ideas into reality and become successful.
My dear young people, being self-employed doesn’t require a lot of money but the willingness to learn to utilize available resources, identify your skills, and talk with people who have relevant business skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Patsy's Organic Peanut Butter

Hello! I'm excited to post my second blog post, on how to make my organic peanut butter! From the beginning of the process to the final product, it takes a maximum of an hour and thirty minutes to make my peanut butter. However, this depends on the quantity of peanuts and ingredients I have. I've been using the same process since my childhood, when I began making peanut butter. Making peanut butter is a part of our informal education in Uganda; though it was not taught in school, it was a crucial part of my learning at home from my elders. My mother taught me how to cook starting at the age of 6 years old, including this peanut butter recipe I've detailed below! Gather the ingredients, including peanuts and simsim (sesame) seeds.  Clean the peanuts and simsim, and sort them.  Roast or fry the simsim and peanuts. In Uganda, we use charcoal stoves, however no matter what heat source you're using you need to use a medium heat to roast or fry the seeds to avoid bu

Welcome to Patsy's Organic Peanut Butter!

Introduction Hello! My name is Patricia Letiru, I am from Northern Uganda, and am currently living in Kabale, located in Western Uganda. I work at the Kigezi Healthcare Foundation (KIHEFO), an NGO based in Kabale. In Uganda, you begin to cook from a young age. Cooking is an important part of your informal education in the home. As a child, I prepared peanut butter every day, and we ate it at every meal. Northern Uganda is a leading region for peanut and simsim (sesame seeds) production in the country, and is part of our traditional meals. It is produced for commercial uses and the home. In Uganda, we put peanut butter on bread, cassava, potatoes, snacks, cookies, and yellow bananas. We also use peanut butter to cook dry/smoked meat, dry/smoked fish, vegetables, and beans. Peanut butter is an important source of iron, calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, healthy fats, and carbohydrates. Ugandan peanut butter is primarily organic. Patsy's Peanut Butter In 2017, I began the